Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Assembly Line...

So after the whole move-in process was done and I was finally settled in, I had to take care of a bunch of things before classes started. I have always heard rumors about the outrageous book costs of things... They weren't lying. I remember spending over 600 dollars on books for classes that were for my "core". I remember spending 80 dollars on an English book that showed me how to cite a source MLA style. At the time I wanted to be a Secondary Education Major and teach high school social studies classes. I wanted to inspire kids in the public schooling system to do things with their lives. I knew so many people in my high school that didn't even consider college as an option; not because they didn't want to, but because they thought it was financially impossible. 


Most of my classes were core classes; which are classes that every student is required to take as a college student. The core classes purpose is to make it so each student is a, "well rounded individual". Going into school I thought this was all so cool and awesome. As I started to take classes, I started to find out that my core classes were becoming regurgitation of what I have learned in high school. Why am I spending $600 on regurgitation? Not to mention the $7,000+ tuition and the $9,000+ to live in the residence halls. 


The balance of social life and academics was also a big adjustment for me. I always seemed to never find time for homework and at the same time, never find time to socialize and meet people. One minute I have a 150 page reading assignment about Columbus spreading syphilis then I'm staying up all night watching TV shows with friends until 3 in the morning. Funny part is, I seemed to learn more about life hanging out and meeting new people than studying about some random fact that isn't relevant to my life.


A couple weeks into school I remember having to have to go back home to go see my Dad. He ended up in the hospital because he wasn't feeling all that well. I remember stressing out so much because of the situation. I felt nothing else mattered but that time and moment. But then when all of that was said done, I had to drive back down to Muncie... And hop back in the line...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is like back in the day when they used to post novels in the paper one chapter at a time it makes me want to read more hurry with the next post